Frequently Asked Questions
QUESTIONS ABOUT PICKING UP YOUR DONATED VEHICLE
1. DO I HAVE TO PAY FOR GETTING THE CAR PICKED UP?
No, the pick up of your vehicle is free.
2. WHICH TOWING COMPANY IS GOING TO PICK UP MY VEHICLE?
As soon as we assign a transport company to pick up your donated vehicle, we’ll email and text you their number. The transport company will contact you within 24 hours to make arrangements for pick up, but you are welcome to contact them directly at any time.
3. DO I HAVE TO BE THERE WHEN THE TOW COMPANY PICKS MY VEHICLE UP?
You can make pickup arrangements with the Transport Company. In most States it’s not necessary for you to be present.
4. HOW FAST CAN MY CAR BE PICKED UP?
The transport company will contact you within 24 hours (except weekends in some areas). If you need a Rush pick up I’ll mark that on your file. We’ll send you the phone number to the transport company by email and text so you can follow up with them directly.
5. CAN YOU TAKE MY VEHICLE IF IT’S TOTALLED/DAMAGED/MISSING TIRES?
In most cases yes. Please describe the vehicle condition as best you can.
6. WHAT IF THE CAR WAS ABANDONED ON MY PROPERTY AND I DON’T KNOW WHO THE OWNER IS?
I’m sorry to say that we can only accept donations from the owner of the vehicle, so we’re not able to accept your offer.
7. WHAT IF THE VEHICLE HAS OUTSTANDING TICKETS?
We can take cars that have outstanding tickets, however, you are responsible to pay the tickets up to the time the car is picked up.
8. WHAT IF THE REGISTRATION IS EXPIRED?
We can take cars with expired registration, however, you are responsible for the registration fees if they were due before the car is picked up.
9. CAN I DONATE IF MY CAR HAS A LIEN ON IT?
No. It will be necessary to obtain a Lien Release from the Lending Company before the car can be picked up.
10. WHAT HAPPENS WITH MY CAR/BOAT/RV AFTER IT’S PICKED UP?
It’s transported to an auto auction that sells it to raise money for the charity. As soon as the vehicle is picked up, you are no longer liable for it and the Auto Auction will take care of transferring the title to the new owner.
11. CAN I DONATE IF I’M NOT THE “REGISTERED” OWNER?
Yes, but you must have the Title signed by the Registered Owner.
12. HOW DO I FILL OUT THE CERTIFICATE OF TITLE?
Transferring ownership is different in every state. When the towing company calls you to schedule the pick up they’ll be able to answer all of your questions.
13. IS THERE ANYTHING I NEED TO DO AFTER THE VEHICLE IS PICKED UP?
If your State has a “Release of Liability” or “Release of Interest” Form, you should fill that out and mail it in. In some States, such as California, this can be done online.
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE CHARITIES
1. ARE THE CHARITIES A 501c3?
Yes. All Charities are 501c3 recognized by the IRS.
2. CAN YOU SEND ME INFORMATION ABOUT THE CHARITY?
We can send you information via email or mail, which would you prefer?
3. HOW MUCH OF THE PROCEEDS ACTUALLY GO TO THE CHARITY?
50% after expenses, such as advertising and towing.
4. CAN I DONATE TO A CHARITY THAT’S NOT LISTED ON DONATION2CHARITY?
Legally we can only accept donations for the charities listed.
QUESTIONS ABOUT THE TAX DEDUCTION
1. HOW MUCH CAN I TAKE AS A TAX DEDUCTION?
The first receipt you receive will allow you to deduct up to $500. If your donation sells for over $500 we’ll send you a new receipt allowing you to write off the full sale price.
2. HOW WILL I GET MY DONATION RECEIPT?
If you provide an email address we’ll send it to you today. If you don’t have email, we’ll mail it to you today.
3. HOW MUCH WILL MY CAR SELL FOR?
Vehicles are sent either directly to a salvage yard or sold at an auction where they are sold to the highest bidder.
4. HOW QUICKLY WILL I BE NOTIFIED HOW MUCH MY DONATION SOLD FOR?
In most cases within 30 days, but some vehicles may require additional processing time.
1. CAN YOU DONATE A CAR TO ME?
Unfortunately, we cannot. All of the donated vehicles are sold, and the proceeds forwarded to the charity.
2. WHERE ARE YOU LOCATED?
We’re located in California, but we pick up vehicles nationwide.
3. WHAT IF MY CAR DOESN’T SELL UNTIL NEXT YEAR?
If your vehicle is picked up in the current year and sold in the following year, you have the option to take your tax deduction in either year.